Very soon, I’ll be in my mid-thirties. OK, maybe I’ve been there a while, but somehow 35 feels more “mid” to me. I don’t have a lot of profound wisdom to share about aging, especially since I’m just not the type to reflect on past and present around my birthday. Mostly, I just want to celebrate and make the best of what is typically one of the most bitterly cold days of the entire year.
Luckily I have until January 17, my actual birthday, to come to cook up some deep thoughts. And to ponder potential gifties. Many of the items on this year’s wish list are likely to remain wishes forever, but they sure are fun to ponder.
- A bohemian garnet ring - Since garnet is my birthstone, I own a few nice pieces. But I’ve been lusting after a giant, circular, Bohemian ring for years. Set in silver, of course.
- A hot pink full skirt - My full, pleated skirts get loads and loads of wear, but I’m lacking a hot pink one. Since that color is a closet staple for me, I’m on the lookout.
- A Desigual coat - I have a marvelous coat collection, but I would LOVE to add one of Desigual’s bright, busy, printed coats to it.
- Nixon Time Teller in Tortoise - I adore the classic look of this chunky watch.
- Free French fries for life - Or perhaps a French fry tree. Those can grow in Minnesota, right?
- Ellen DeGeneres – OK, I don’t actually want Ellen gift-wrapped for my birthday. But I’d either like to have coffee with her, or MAYBE have her invite me onto her show. Just maybe.
- An iPad – I’ve tried to justify this as a business expense, but just can’t. It’d be pure toy. Would still love one.
- Clinique Superbalm in Black Honey - Finally ponied up for Almost Lipstick, and am now super curious about this balm. I’m a gloss/balm girl at heart.
- The supplies for this DIY - Because I could totally do it and I’d totally love it, but I don’t have any of that stuff on-hand.
- Bright printed skinny pants – All the ones I’ve seen so far look a bit too wallpapery, but I’ve seen a Talbots pair for spring that just might work.
- A Saddleback briefcase – You know, for all my important briefs.
- Trippen boots – I’ve tried on shoes from this German manufacturer before and they are heavenly. Some of the styles are a bit too funky for my taste, but many more are simply stunning.
- Cross country skiing lessons - I need a winter sport. Still. This one seems like the most viable candidate.
- Travel versions of all my toiletries and makeup – Every travel article I’ve ever read recommends this. I never seem to get around to it.
- Sundance Three-bead Linen Necklace - This has been on my wishlist for about four years. It’s one of those items that I know I could make, know I never will, and know I can’t justify the asking price.
- Something Keith Haring. Something other than a tee shirt. - I’d loved his work for years, then saw an exhibit at the Whitney that literally moved me to tears. I’d love a drawing or painting, of course, but would settle for something non-tee-shirt-y. A skirt? A scarf? A mug?
- A self-trimming haircut - What? It’s a WISH list. I can put impossible things on it. I love my stylist, and I love getting a slightly new ‘do every 6 weeks or so … but wow. Short hair. Expensive.
Do you keep a birthday wishlist for yourself? What’s on it for this year? Any overlap with mine? (I mean besides the fries. Those are a wishlist given for all of you, I assume.)
**Disclosure: Actions you take from the hyperlinks within this blog post may yield commissions for alreadypretty.com. See Already Pretty’s disclosure statement for more details.