Ya know what I love? I love a slightly outrageous moustache on a gent. Now, I know that out-there facial hair is all the rage with the hipster dudes right now, and I get a kick out of that, too. But mostly I’m referring to curly-tipped ‘staches on older guys, sculpted facial hair on dads, and the like. Because I see that kind of personal grooming decision as bold and brave, a cheeky way to tell the world, “Hey, I’m awesome. And maybe a bit eccentric. And I don’t care who knows it.”
Here are some of the advantages of a bold, brave, funky moustache that make me an envious lady:
- It is an everyday declaration of personal aesthetic preferences. This kind of facial hair takes commitment.
- On the flip side, it is impermanent. It can be removed completely, or altered dramatically with a little patience and skill.
- It can work on a vast array of body and face shapes, and still have appeal and impact.
- On an older man, it implies a sense of personal style that has been grown and cultivated over a lifetime of experiences.
- It conveys personal confidence. Instantly.
So. I’m unable to grow out my lady-’stache to curly gloriousness, and that’s just fine … but I’ve been trying to think of something gender neutral or feminine that fits the bold and brave bill. Something we can all do to tell the world, “Hey, I’m awesome. And maybe a bit eccentric. And I don’t care who knows it.”
What do you think? Could it be accomplished with a stunning hairstyle? A nose piercing? Constant wearing of hats? What bold, brave personal style choice would you make that could convey confidence?
Image courtesy Gilroy Dispatch. And yes, he’s got Christmas ornaments on there. Kick ass.